Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Bereaved Mommies Link-up #3 and ABOVE RUBIES

Above Rubies is a Free Christian magazine, dedicated to encouraging Motherhood.  I highly recommend it if you are not subscribed to it
This is my article about Jonathan, that was published in the recent edition.

Who determines the value of life?

At what week is life valuable? In California where we live, the value of life is set at 20 weeks gestation. That is the age a birth and death certificate is given -- that is the age it becomes almost impossible to have an abortion. When I was pregnant with my third child, I remember the doctor’s pitying look as he told us the baby would be severely handicapped -- and that we had just passed the legal age for abortion. But, he said, they could make an exception for severe handicaps and go ahead and abort him anyway. We told them we would never consider abortion. We would love our child no matter what. We cried out to God for a miracle, and on Feb. 24, 2005, we got one. Jadon Richard was born PERFECT. There were absolutely no handicaps, as the doctor’s tests had indicated. We named him “Jadon,” which means: "The lord has heard our cry." We chose this name even before he was healed because we knew that no matter what, Jesus had heard our prayers. Jadon now is a perfectly healthy, energetic six-year-old, who is a joy and a delight. I learned from that pregnancy that the medical profession deems quality of life over life itself.
              
 In October of 2011, I found out we were expecting our sixth child. The scan showed a perfect 12-week-old baby. At 18 weeks, we discovered he was a boy. He was only 15 months younger than our toddler, and we were excited. We named him “Jonathan Anthony,” which means, “gift from God.”  But a week later, we were shocked. At another check-up, the doctor couldn’t find his heart beat. We rushed to ER. To our dismay, our baby had died. We found comfort in thinking of him in heaven with my beloved father-in-law who had recently succumbed to cancer.The next day my mother and sister-in -law gathered, with my husband and myself, to say hello and good-by at the same time. I was terrified by what I would see. Would I be horrified by the toll death had taken on my tiny baby?
            
Jonathan Anthony came into the world on Jan 24 at 7:40 p.m., just minutes after his daddy laid hands on my tummy and prayed for God to deliver him. The doctor gave him  to me so I could hold him. I was so scared to see him. I took him into my arms and felt instant maternal love and protection flood my heart. He was a little longer than my hand lying flat. His skin was thin and bruised. His hands and feet were perfect -- with tiny fingernails. Daddy said he looked like him. To me, he was so beautiful my angel baby boy. We held him and loved him the rest of his birthday. We prayed over him and spoke our unending love for him. At a little past midnight, we let him go. The pain of knowing I would never again see him on earth threatened to shatter me. Yet I also felt the presence of God whispering, "He is safe".
    
The doctor and the mortuary told us we would not receive a birth or death certificate. Jonathan was a few days away from the legal age counted worthy of acknowledgment of life and death. We do not need a certificate to tell us he lived, that he was a valuable, precious, loved person. I will always say I have six children -- five here on earth and one sweet son in Heaven. Jonathan had so much impact on the doctors and nurses who attended to him. They were impressed by our love for our baby and told us he was very lucky.  We know that he is not lucky but blessed -- very blessed to be loved and wanted. Little babies his age and size are everyday legally scraped from their mother’s womb and thrown away. They are gathered into the Father’s arms, just as Jonathan was. But Jonathan will be remembered, talked of and loved the rest of our lives. 


All life is a valuable, precious and wonderful gift. We must fight against the cultural lies of our age that put value at a certain gestational time. Don't let our culture taint your view on the value of life. We are bombarded continually by a subtle propaganda. In what week of gestation does life begin? We must seek the truth from the word of God. Jer. 1:5 says, "Before I formed you in the womb, I knew you. Before you were born, I set you apart." Do not judge the young mother who has succumbed to the lies of our age. Offer hope of Heaven, healing, salvation and restoration.
           
 As Christians, we must be a voice of one crying out in the desert (Isaiah 40:3). Speak the truth in love. How very precious is life no matter how long it is lived. Nineteen and a half weeks was enough to stay in my heart forever, and Jonathan's soul is in Heaven for all eternity.


teshastreasures
Please link up there are not rules just please try to encourage a few others.

I want to say thank you Trennia, she is such a wonderful encouragement always visiting others and encouraging them! Thank you Trennia 

I am so very thankful for all of you. You let me know that I am not alone, that we stand together and cry together and pray together. Wherever you are at on this journey you are important. Please link up and know I am so grateful for you. 

Make sure you visit Fran this week for the launch party of 

Plant flowers in others gardens and your life becomes a bouquet! 
 ~Author Unknown


33 comments:

Shanda said...

Tesha, thank you for sharing this. I also had a baby that had no heart beat at a routine physical. i was only 14 weeks and had to have a DNE. I thought my heart would break and that baby was as real to me as those delivered full term.
May God continue to heal and comfort you.

HopeUnbroken said...

beautifully written. and a timely reminder of all that God holds sacred, precious, important.
you speak for those who cannot.
blessings,
steph

Sarah Avila said...

I love, love, love Above Rubies! Great article; what an awesome opportunity for you to be able to reach so many women with your story and message!!

Kallie said...

What an amazing story you shared. Beautifully written from a beautiful heart! You are so great at whatever you do...uplifting, photography, crafts, writing. You name it, you can do it!

Nan & Mike said...

You write beautifully, and im so proud if you for pushing thru these roughest of feelings...keep it up Tesha, I truly believe writing these thoughts out is so healing. Love, Nan

Jennifer Ross said...

That was so beautiful Tesha!

I just received my Above Rubies magazine yesterday. I've been getting them for a few years now. They are filled with wonderful articles on raising and directing your children in the ways of the Lord. I will be looking for your article.....

Thank you again for doing this wonderful link up for mother's...

twisteddomesticgoddess said...

Great article Tesha!! I am so proud of you. Hugs..I went ahead and linked up my post from last Friday. Love you

twisteddomesticgoddess said...

Great article Tesha!! I am so proud of you. Hugs..I went ahead and linked up my post from last Friday. Love you

Kate @ Teaching What Is Good said...

Tesha, than you so much for linking your story up today. It is such a beautiful testimony of God's view of life. We lost a precious little one at 13 weeks who had passed into glory several weeks before we knew it...our little Shalom.

Elizabeth said...

Amen...5 days from being far enough along to receive a death certificate here...felt like one more slap in the face. I know Ryan lived...I saw his heartbeat, I felt his kicks, I saw him sucking his hand. I don't need the certificate to tell me that he was our son. Praying for all of us who are traveling down this difficult path.

God's Most Precious said...

Tesha - you truly are an example for us woman. It is so wonderful to see God's hand move in your life. He is with you every step of the way! Continuing to pray for you my friend! Monica

Alecia said...

Another beautiful post, filled with truth. How sad that we live in a day and age that puts so little value on life. Life begins at conception. Blessings to you!

brigette said...

What a beautiful article!! Praying for your beautiful family always!!

Beth said...

Beautiful, Tesha.

ji said...

What an amazing story!! So happy to have found your blog! :)

SingerMamaMelody said...

Sweet Tesha,

What a lovely story you wrote about your boys. I didn't know the part about Jadon - wow! So grateful that he is here and that you didn't listen to the doctors on their advice re. his life. And I'm so sorry that your little one didn't make the age for getting a certificate. I hope you have gotten or made one of your own. I think I remember you saying that you did have one. I'm waiting on my BCRS - birth certificate resulting in stillbirth. In fact, I don't think it is ordered yet so I need to take care of it.

I hope that you are blessed today and feel the Lord encouraging you...walking so close to you.

one day I hope we can meet up in person! :)

Love,
Melody

Tara said...

Tesha,
What a beautiful article! So glad that you wrote and shared about your precious Jonathan.

Been missing your comments in the book club. Just wanted to check in and make sure you were okay!

Praying for you!

Hannah Rose said...

Dear Tesha,

Thank you for hosting this link up! You are such a treasure. I hope we can meet one day in person.

This blog post is beautiful! It really shows the value of a life, a precious life that others would abort at that gestation. I'd love to share this on my blog, if you don't mind?

Love, Hannah Rose

Trennia said...

Tesha,
I am so sorry about the certificate,my heart goes out to you.I don't have anything on my twins I wish I had asked for ultrasound pictures but I was so scared,and upset I didn't think to ask back then.I ordered Emily's birth cert. and death cert.
I don't understand people a child is a child at conception is what I believe.Thank you for mentioning my name, I don't feel I deserve any mentioning, but thank you.

Gina @ Gigi Marie Photography said...

This is so moving Tesha- my heart aches with every word I read.

Holly said...

Just goes to show that drs do not know everything!!!

Lisa said...

Dear Tesha,
How wonderfully strong of you to share your story - with the hope of helping/encouraging another mom who has gone through the same thing.
Next month would have been our angel baby's due date...had she gone to full term. If you're still doing the link-up then, I might join in.
Grace to you.

Courtney said...

Oh, Tesha - This is so, so powerful. Thank you for being brave and sharing your heart.

Laurie and company said...

I got my Above Rubies today and POOF!! there you were !! what a pleasant surprise, Tesha.
loved your article and hope you are doing well today.
Many hugs,
xoxo
LY

Diane said...

Tesha, your words were absolutely anointed. So beautifully written. You have a gift for being able explain what you are feeling in a way so many people can relate to, and take comfort in. What an amazing way to honor Johnathon. God Bless you, friend!! I am so thankful for you.

Denise said...

Love you sweet friend.

Christine said...

Oh, Tesha. I too am so proud of you! What a beautifully written article from a Titus 2 heart to encourage, teach, and love on others. God is using you mightily! I am so thankful to be able to read here.

Ashley said...

I am so broken hearted for you and your family ((Hugs))

You are still so much in the beginning of your grief and yet you are amazing in helping others with your link ups. You are such a wonderful person to think of others at a time when grief can be such a selfish thing. So glad that I met you on Kelly's Korner.

Sherri said...

Your truly amazing....your article is beautiful!

Jennie said...

That is beautifully written. If the medical community only recognized how valuable and breath taking each soul is, no matter the age. I remember my one of my first visits to Labor and Delivery during Teagan's very complicated pregnancy, I was 19 wks at the time, the doctor told me there wasn't anything to do but wait and see how the pregnancy progressed. I remember him using the words, "its not a viable pregnancy yet". Oh, how I wanted to scream at him and tell him this was my baby he was talking about and to figure out a way to fix the problem (as if he could). Anyways, I'm sending my love and prayers!

Sarah Avila said...

I received my Above Rubies magazine in the mail today and I opened it right up to your beautiful family!! What a blessing it was to have you in one of my favorite magazines.

Tracy said...

This is beautiful.

Lori Poppinga said...

God is good...all the time. What a treasure to share you story with others...to offer them hope, encouragement, permission to grieve, to remember life is precious and begins at conception.
Keep u the God work.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Follow this blog with bloglovin

Follow on Bloglovin