Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Who Jesus used to be

I have not written in a while, but tonight the words can no longer stay in. Maybe it is the anniversary of Jonathan's birth, nine months today. Maybe its weariness from another negative test, maybe it's hormones, who knows but tonight I have to tell the truth.

My Jesus is not the same Jesus he was back when life was more roses than rain drops. How I saw him then and now is different.

The hard questions did not used to bother me. The ones like 
If God is good Why......?I easily white washed these before and probably said something like, "Bad things happen but God is good"! with an encouraging voice and a twinkle in my eyes. Before I would of thought that was enough.

Deep pain has a way of changing things. Who did Jesus used to be? Did I create God in my own image? Did I make him into what I wanted him to be.... easy? 

A soberness has settled into my heart. Jonathan dying did not rob me of joy but it made me sober to real life. Life where gut wrenching pain takes your breath away. I ache for those that ache in a new way. The pain of holding Jonathan took the numbness out of my soul. 

True, I have walked through the valley of the shadow of death before, the death of two beloved irreplaceable father figures, my Papaw and my Father-in-love. Both of those were heartbreaking yet Jonathan almost broke me. WHY? I don't know, I certainly do not pretend to have the answer. Some experience far worse, and yet, do far better. In my life, for me, Jonathan's death has been my deepest, darkest pit.

Jesus your not the same, I know you never promised me a pain free life...forgive me for assuming and expecting it.

So who is Jesus now? He is not the one that died to make me happy as I heard one televangelist put it. He's did not suffer so I could have a trouble free perfect life. Yet he does promise me the hope of Heaven.


but what about...
Jesus Christ is the same yesterday and today and forever.
Hebrews 13:8


maybe....
I am not the same and the Jesus I created in my image was not the Jesus of the Bible. Jesus never gave hallmark response to suffering he joined in with those that suffered. He took our suffering upon himself.


Surely he took up our infirmities and carried our sorrows
~Isaiah 53:4

How many times have I made Jesus into my image instead of being made into his?

In all this you greatly rejoice, though now for a little while you may have had to suffer grief in all kinds of trials. These have come so that the proven genuineness of your faith—of greater worth than gold, which perishes even though refined by fire—may result in praise, glory and honor when Jesus Christ is revealed.
~1 Peter 1:6-7

I am not the same, therefor Jesus in me is not the same. This fire has refined me and has proven the genuineness of my faith to me! 


 Jesus I give you praise honor and glory not because you have keep me from sorrow but because you have carried me through and reveled yourself to and through me in my suffering. 


Consider that our present sufferings are not worth comparing with the glory that will be revealed in us.
~Romans 8:18

8 comments:

Kristy said...

So so true. Thank you for being such an encouraging friend.

Denise said...

Such truth spoken here.

Kim said...

Beautifully said, thank you for sharing. Much peace to you on Jonathan's 9 month birthday.

Deanna said...

Good Morning Tesha!!

What an endearing post and honest heart you've shared here. ALong with this post and the grief-day posts they are bound to help another soul who is suffering with loss and sorrow.

You are so right at least in my walks in this journey I say you are so right -deep sorrow surely does changer the heart and gives us new light about our Savior. While Jesus didn't promise the happy road ahead He did promise His joy. I've come to learn that joy and happiness are not related. And yet through trials we continued to be amazed at just how wonderful our Counselor is, at the amazement of our Prince of Peace, and we never cease to grow in the knowledge and realness at that Jesus really is close to the broken hearted.

May His peace that surpasses all understanding be yours. *And may you rest in His timing for all things beautiful.

Love, Deanna

Debby@Just Breathe said...

Excellent post and I love when you said "Jesus I give you praise honor and glory not because you have keep me from sorrow but because you have carried me through and reveled yourself to and through me in my suffering."
AMEN!

Sara said...

Beautiful Tesha... and something that I can totally relate to... Everything you said is right where I have been from our loss of these precious boys being the deepest pit to looking at Jesus in a whole new way... a more real way for me for sure! Wow, the faithfulness of the Father to carry us through these hard times... Praying for you friend!

Jennifer Ross said...

Beautiful!!!!!! Perfect truth!

Nicole said...

I felt so many of these same things. I've certainly struggled with the question of "if God us good, why did Caroline have to die?! Why do so many other families have to miss their much lived and wanted babies too?" The truth is, I have no idea. I don't know shy bad things happen to good people. But, like you said, he didn't promise us pain free living. But he did promise us Heaven and eternal life! Praise God for that!

Going through such a loss has sharpened my faith. I wasn't the same person before, I just took for granted that I'd always kind of have an easy go of things...it would all basically fall into place. And that allowed me to (unknowingly) try to stand on my own 2 feet instead of leaning on God. After Caroline died, I couldn't even get to my feet anymore. So the only choice I had was to lean on Him. And He was right there...different than I had ever seen or felt, because I had never allowed Him to carry me.

Thanks for sharing. Beautiful post.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Follow this blog with bloglovin

Follow on Bloglovin