Thursday, August 29, 2013

Homeschooling Goals and Schedule 2013/2014

I have been reading, researching and organizing for our new year. Two years ago we wrote goals and made a schedule, I found it invaluable. Last year I just kind of coasted through with what we had from the year before but I really wanted to start this year fresh and inspire the kids. 


I have been doing lots of reading to get ideas and inspiration for myself. Some recent favorites. 


I also read Unglued for a second time over the summer to help me set goals on joy and peace! All this investment has paid off because I am felling really encourage about our year. 

 I used Mangers Of  Their Homes format to create a daily Schedule. I decided to not put in times but rather uses blocks of time. That way if we need to be flexible I can just let them know what block we are on. We have already implemented this style and it seems to work really well for us. 


We had a family meeting and had the kids tell us what they liked about last year and what they wanted to change. We all so set goals as a unit and individually, it was a powerful time! 
Here is our family mission statement that I recently put together.



*I got this question list for Abundant Life and found it really helpful in preparing our goals*

Why are we homeschooling?

To be able to influence our kids by having a strong relationship with them and encouraging them to have a strong sibling relationship with each other. Training them in character issues. Freedom to customize our school year calendar and curriculum Avoiding negative peer pressure. Real world learning and life skills. I can observe their personality and be in tune with their strengths and weaknesses.



What are our spiritual goals?

That our children would love Jesus with all of their heart soul mind and strength. They would be able to give an account for the hope that is within them. Moral character rooted in biblical truths.



What are our educational goals? What do we want them to learn? Why?

. A well rounded education of tradition school subjects. That they would love learning and prepared for the future God has for them whether that is college or a trade career.



What life skills do we want our kids to have? What non-academic areas are important to us?

They would be able to run a home or a business efficiently and be able to get along with and love people well.




What kind of environment do we want in our home school?

Peaceful, filled with love, understanding, grace and humility. FUN!




Why does homeschooling provide the better environment for our family? Why homeschooling rather than public or private school?

We are able to spend lots of time together making us each others best friends, most trusted advisers, and confidants. Homeschooling is better for our family because we have the most influence through relationship with our children to train them in character issues and negate negative influences.


Family Mission Statement

That is a tall order, one that is impossible with out the spirit of God. Thank you Jesus I am not in this alone!


"Not by might nor by power, but by my Spirit," says the Lord Almighty.
Zech 4:6 

9 comments:

Denise said...

Awesome.

Pink Slippers said...

I hate the idea of living on a schedule but, I honestly can say it has made this year's school days much smoother already.

L said...

I'm so glad you found the Plan to be Flexible book helpful too! I have found the Maxwells books really helpful. I liked seeing your schedule - I'm still working on ours. May God bless you all in your new school year!

Sara said...

I love it Tesha! Your schedule looks great... I may have to post ours sometime too... Praying you have a super blessed start to school:)

Christine said...

Bravo! You are very intentional, which is a blessed thing! If not for that quality, our children just live with us, rather than being reared by us. Your children rise up and all you blessed, I'm sure.

When are you due? I am sure you've probably posted this at some point, but I can't remember.

Naomi@What Joy Is Mine said...

Tesha...That is an excellent mission for your homeschool. I agree that it is important to have a schedule in place to guide your day. For us, it is necessity so we have something to keep us on track. Thank you for sharing it.

brigette said...

Amazing!!! You are seriously a super star mom!

Diane said...

You are so inspiring!!! Gos's hand is clearly upon you. I'm praying for you, my friend.

Linda said...

I liked hearing how you sat down as a family and discussed what worked and where you are headed. Wonderful family mission statement!
I've also found the Maxwell's a wonderful help. We've been able to adapt it to fit our family, it works very well. Have a wonderful school year!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Follow this blog with bloglovin

Follow on Bloglovin