Thursday, July 24, 2014

Homeschool Blues

I hate to admit it but I have really been dreading the end of summer. We have one week left before the kids and I go to Tennessee for two weeks, when we come back school starts. So I have spent most of this week researching curriculum for the upcoming year and cleaning out desks.

I wish I could say I am ready and refreshed, but I'm just not feeling it. Now I know not to rely on my feeling or my life would be way off coarse from what God wants. BUT. Homeschooling all of the sudden seems like a daunting task. Maybe it's because I am adding a Kindergartner into the mix or maybe it's that Julian is quickly turning into a very busy baby or that I have yet to win the victory over Jojo's foolishness. I'm just not sure but I know that I don't feel ready to jump back in.

One of the very real challenge for me is teaching Jadon to read. He has been doing some tutoring this summer but we still have a long road ahead. He is profoundly dyslexic and I am just learning how to cope with that.  I could write a post on this -and I will- but I am not ready yet.

My goal is to spend next week in some serious prayer and planing. I need Jesus to fill me and inspire me for another year. I need to read over my homeschooling goals and mission statement from last year and possibly get a new book to get the motivational juices flowing.

I am reading a wonderful book on prayer called The Circle Maker. It is so inspiring in so many areas of our life-- the church-- my husbands business...In fact he took a MAJOR step of faith in his business because of what I shared with him from the book(another post:). However I am having a hard time applying it to homeschooling. I am planing a fast for next week to pray specifically for this new year and for Jadon. I am not sure what to fast yet, but I know I need supernatural power and that is a byproduct of fasting. I am weak and do not "feel" able to start another year. I know it must be the power of Jesus in me to help me accomplish the important task of teaching my children.


If only it were this easy:)


So we fasted and petitioned our God about this, and he answered our prayer.Ezra 8:23




Oh a lighter note I Googled homeschool blues just for fun and literally Laughed Out Loud watching this Tim Hawkins video, nothing like good old comic relief:)



.

11 comments:

Shannon Wallace said...

I miss emailing back and forth. :) Let's chat soon. And I can totally relate to much of what you've written! Everything will be okay...enjoy Tennessee.

L said...

I understand what you are going through! As I pray for myself and homeschool prep for the next year, I will pray for you too. I hope your trip be relaxing - and recharging. :)

Becca J. said...

You're not alone, Tesha. I've been feeling the same way. I may just start gradually this year. hugs to you and I"ll praying for you! blessings, becca

Cindi said...

Hugs and prayers, Tesha!! I have no doubt that He will be strong where you feel weak. I hope you guys have safe travels and loads of fun in TN!!! :)

Pamela said...

I'll join you in praying for your homeschooling. You are such an awesome mother. God blesses those who give their all to the ones He entrusted to them. So I'm expecting a huge answer to prayer for you. And answers for your sweet Jaden.

I loved the circle maker. I read the one for children first then just the Circlemakers I recently read someone who called it witchcraft. Guess what--they didn't read the book! It has really helped me in praying big prayers. ~Pamela

Leanne said...

Tesha, have you had Jadon's eyes checked?

My daughter Sara was also profoundly dyslexic also from the age of 7. She did learn how to read when she was 5, but I was constantly, constantly having to correct her words when she wrote and she was continuously writing letters backward….

Fast forward to the day I decided to take her to get her eyes checked, and the day she got glasses…..she was a new person!

It's worth a try…

And you're not alone. I'll be praying!

(((HUGS)))

J Howard said...

Oh friend, teaching is so very hard! SO HARD.

Christine said...

I am researching dyslexic reading programs too. I decided on All About Reading, but I have to sell two things to get the money for it, as I wasn't planning on having to buy Emily something this year. But, I wanted something with the Ortho G.. (long word that I can't remember yet) system, which is an explicit, systematic phonics approach in which only one concept is introduced at a time, and is mastered before moving on. It was recommended on three different dyslexia sights and it isn't terribly expensive.

You are taking the right approach...starting the whole process in prayer! God will give wisdom, peace, and the will to go forward and even some joy! Love to you, and have a good time with your family in TN.

Kallie said...

Thinking of you!!! Enjoy your time in Tennessee and I will pray for strength for you!

Laurie and company said...

You've got this!! Praying for you, chick....and so thankful that you posted the Homeschool blues video (I'm so right there with ya).
Hugs from Indy.

pursuingthebeautywritings said...

I understand :) :) Hope you are doing well!! Wish I could've seen you for a short visit during your time in TN! Hugs xo Hope

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Follow this blog with bloglovin

Follow on Bloglovin