Saturday, September 27, 2014

Around Here This Week

We had a great week eating organic GMO free whole foods! I had fun trying new recipes and overall everyone liked them. I would love to put the actual recipes on my blog but I hardly ever measure anything I just throw it together. I tried to snap a picture of our dinners but honestly everyone is so hungry when dinner rolls around they are practically yelling "Give me the plate mom! Don't take a picture":)! So, here are some sorry excuses snapped on my phone of what we ate.
Cobb salad with homemade vinaigrette dressing 
Mango Maui Maui with quick cook brown rice from Trader Joe's. I loved that the brown rice cooked in 15 minutes but the traditional brown rice taste better...still it is a good option when time is a real issue:)
This is nightly on the table (kind of like a bread basket:) with Homemade Tzatziki and organic Hummus from Costco. The kids LOVE cucumber and carrots and of course the pita bread...I am still trying to get them to eat the tomatoes!

Pesto tofu pita and Pesto Pasta. This one did not go over to well with the kids but my hubby LOVED IT! Who knew such a meat eating man would love tofu?
The kids did like this tofu dish better...or maybe it was that it also had shrimp:) We are going to really encourage them to like tofu because it's a super cheap protein. A box of certified GMO free tofu is only $3.50 at Costco- a box will feed our family for three dinners!
This is my favorite Mediterranean Chicken Dish...with olives, artichoke's, sun dried tomatoes and capers... I had not added the feta when I took the picture but it really makes the dish delicious!
Jojo loves couscous and can eat a whole plate of it!
We had Caprese Sandwiches twice because they are quick easy and I do not have to turn on the oven on hot days.
Last night we had friends over for dinner and I made this yummy cake. I really think the organic flour, coco and raw sugar made it soooo good

We did have the big boys watch GMO OMG and they really liked it! The documentary made them want to make the healthy changes. The little kids have done pretty well... Shyala is so funny telling everyone we don't eat Gmos anymore, when I asked her what a GMO is she said, "Poison!" Smart girl!  When I gave her the organic natural peanut butter she scrunched her nose and said "Mommy I want the GMO kind"! That cracked me up:) 

I have been pretty surprised at the cost of Whole Foods own brand -365 Everyday. Their milk is actually cheaper than our old market and most items are the same price or less! With the exceptions being eggs and meat, both are considerably more to buy organic.

We also went to see the Documentary Fed Up with some friends at the Aerow Theater this week. The movie was followed by a Q&A with a panel of experts. I learned A LOT about sugar and processed foods. To be honest I left feeling like a bad mommy because I have given my kids so much of the processed junk that companies are calling food. But then I decide to just be thankful that now I have the opportunity to make wiser choices for them, no need for mommy guilt:)


In other news... 
Jimmy got a new guitar and his braces off, which I can't believe I did not take a picture of yet!

and Shayla started "real" Ballet 


Otherwise it has been life as usual...Lots of school and church. Oh we did start listing to Unbroken on audio book and we love it! The big boys can't wait until I get the little kids in bed so we can hear a chapter or two:)


We are gearing up for our annual marriage retreat and I CAN'T WAIT! I am soooo in love with my husband, I honestly think he's a really amazing man! To spend a few days alone with him will be pure bliss!:)

He has shown you, O mortal, what is good.
And what does the Lord require of you?
To act justly and to love mercy
and to walk humbly with your God.
Micah 6:8

6 comments:

Hillary said...

Wonderful post friend! Bobby was recently diagnosed as being a Type 2 Diabetic and so I've really been changing our menu around. He is on the road to controlling his Diabetes with little to NO medication! I love the idea that the foods we eat can heal us! I loved all your colorful meals and you've really inspired me to continue on the our new road to better health! Lots of love to you. xoxox

Allison said...

Your plates were very colorful which is good! I'm not sure I could handle tofu though...

Debby@Just Breathe said...

The food looks so yummy. Way to go! Love the new guitar and it's always wonderful to get those braces off. Shayla is a very pretty ballerina. The boys look great all dressed up and I always enjoy seeing your photos. Hope you have a great day and a wonderful week ahead.

J Howard said...

Oh my goodness! I'm coming to your house for dinner! Delicious!

Anonymous said...

Tesha,
I got an email from "Trim Healthy Mama" today regarding this topic of GMO foods. They will be speaking on this topic THIS week:
https://naturalcuressummit.com/
It is free to sign up. I am curious to hear what these " food freedom" ladies have to say. I've been doing THM since the spring, and LOVE it.

Blessings to you and your family!
Lisa

brigette said...

Beautiful family!!! Xoxo

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Follow this blog with bloglovin

Follow on Bloglovin