Friday, November 14, 2014

Are Faith and Fear The Same Thing?

Last month we attended our Church's annual Healing Crusade. There is nothing mystical about our Healing Crusade Just men of God praying for sick and hurting people.



I went up at the end for prayer for the nodule in my lungs (I still have two month to wait until we find out what it is). The preacher that prayed for me said something really interesting, I hope I will remember it forever. After I told him the trouble he looked in my eyes and said "Your afraid" I shook my head yes. He smiled a BIG smile then proceeded to tell me all about faith and fear. He even had an acronym for each word. The statement that really caught my attention and made me think was when he said, "You know faith and fear are the same thing don't you"? I shrugged, then he said...



"Faith, is believing that what has not happened, will happen" 

and

"Fear, is believing that what has not happened, will happen"



I have to admit it is much easier for me to fear bad things then it is to believe by faith for good things. I have crumbled in fear a few times since that first CT Scan in June. Lately I have been heavy with fear because a couple of people I dearly love are also facing possible cancer diagnosis. After watching my Beloved (and I mean I truly love him like a dad) Father-in-Love die of cancer nothing can stir fear in my heart like the thought of cancer in me or in someone I love.


So I've had some sleepless nights, some tears and lots of prayer. 


Since the Healing Crusade I often ask myself the question, are you living in Faith or Fear? What do you Believe will happen? Do you believe your Jesus is big enough, bigger than cancer? I am fine during the day if a fearful thought comes to my head, I say a quick prayer and keep on with my never ending to do list. However at night it's not so easy for me to turn off my mind... the questions, the what if's, it can be tormenting.


No matter how dark my thoughts turn at night, I have found great comfort in that preachers encouragement to me. I always try to turn my fearful What If's into ...


What if Jesus is big enough? 
Revelation 1:8


What if God goes with me and never leaves me or forsakes me?
Deuteronomy 31:6



What if this testing of my faith produces perseverance and brings me closer to being complete in Christ? 
James 1:3-4


What if the Lord my God takes hold of my right hand and says do not fear, I will help you?
Isaiah 41:13


What if I learn that I really can do all things through Christ who gives me strength?
Philippians 4:13


What if God works ALL things together for my good?
Romans 8:28


What if I trust God more and lean not on own my own understanding and he makes my path straight?
Proverbs 3:5-6


What if I hope in the Lord and he renews my streghnth, What if I run and do not grow weary, what if I soar on wings like eagles. 
Isaiah 40:31


What if Jesue brings healing and I praise him! 


Are Fear and Faith the same? I say they sure look a lot alike. How will I live today...

Will I be gripped by fear about what could happen or will I be filled with faith about what could happen?




The LORD is my light and my salvation whom shall I fear? The LORD is the stronghold of my life of whom shall I be afraid? ….One thing I ask of the LORD, this is what I seek: that I may dwell in the house of the LORD all the days of my life, to gaze upon the beauty of the LORD and to seek him in his temple. For in the day of trouble he will keep me safe in his dwelling; he will hide me in the shelter of his tabernacle and set me high upon a rock. Hear my voice when I call, O LORD; be merciful to me and answer me. My heart says of you, “Seek his face!” Your face, LORD, I will seek. I am still confident of this: I will see the goodness of the LORD in the land of the living. Wait for the LORD; be strong and take heart and wait for the LORD.

Psalm 27





5 comments:

Lisa said...

I know not knowing is so hard! And the wondering just stays in the back of your mind. What the preacher said about fear and faith is so interesting! I will have to remember that. Know that I have been continuing to pray for you that there is nothing wrong with your lungs and you will be able to raise all your children while healthy. God bless you!

Debby@Just Breathe said...

I haven't walked in your shoes and I am so sorry for what you are facing right now. My prayers are with you and you are in my thoughts.

Christine said...

Praise God for the encouragement the pastor gave you, Tesha! I believe it was one of God's graces to see you through these months of waiting. It must be so very hard, but you are an inspiration to us all, my friend. I thank you for sharing this wisdom and your heart. Continuing to join you in prayer.

Kallie said...

Thinking of you dear friend...May the Lord be watching over you. The unknown s so scary but I will say prayers!!!

michael martinez said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Follow this blog with bloglovin

Follow on Bloglovin