Friday, November 21, 2014

Wellness, Food, Supplements and Healing

Wellness is an active process of becoming aware of and making choices toward a healthy and fulfilling life

We have been continuing on our health and wellness journey and I feel like I have learned so much. I want to write this post to document what we have been doing and also to share some links and information. Why we are doing ALL this? Well it all started when a routine kidney scan found a lung nodule last June. No matter what that nodule turns out to be I am thankful this all happened because it really caused me to reevaluate our lives. 


About a month ago I spent seven days listening to the Natural Cure Summit , it confirmed what I had been suspecting and painted a clear picture to me... What we put in our body has a tremendous impact on our health. I have put some pretty awful food and chemicals in mine over the years so for me to expect it to remain healthy is not really logical.


So I have been doing some heavy detoxing and I can feel the effects of it. My goal in detoxing is to rejuvenate my organs and cells and to remove toxins that have been building up for 35 years:) I know a true detox is a really long process, I am not looking for a quick fix, rather a lifestyle of removing toxins daily and making an effort to not put in new ones I can avoid.



The number one gentle detox that I learned about from the Natural Cures Summit was first thing in the morning to drink a glass of distilled water with a whole lemon squeezed in it. This is such a cheap, easy and effective detox everyone should do it!


I have continued Flora Essence and implemented lots of other teas, like Dandelion root and Tulsi (Holy Bail) also I stopped drinking coffee and switched to organic Green Tea. I have been using Raw Cleanse from Garden of Life which tastes AWFUL by the way:)


Another detox method I have been implementing is Oil Pulling. I have to get up early to get this one done, not talking for 20 minutes is difficult with six kids:)! A perfect time to do this ancient dental technique that involves swishing a tablespoon of oil in your mouth on an empty stomach for around 20 minutes is during bible reading!


Of coarse the most important detox is done with food... I have been eating whole organic foods, very little sugar and nothing processed. Also we have switched all of our personal care products to natural organic ones (except makeup). I am in the process of switching our cleaning products also. We switched our daily vitamins to Garden of Life , they only use whole foods, I love all their products! BTW the kids vitamins are awesome but the taste nasty. 

Some other supplements I am taking

Oil of Oregano
Turmeric
Candida Cleanse
Two different Probiotics
Aloe Vera Juice
Brahmi Gotu Kola 
Extra Vitamin C
Herpanacine (for eczema)
Magnesium (oil and powder)


Supportive Healing Foods I am loving

Chia Seeds
Flax Seeds
Flax oil
ginger
Raw Kefir goat milk
Psyllium Husk
Bone Broth
Garlic eaten raw
Coconut oil
Coconut milk (full fat)
Apple Cider Vinegar (2 or 3 times daily in water).


A major change that I have made in eating is consuming fat. I have basically been on a low fat diet since I was 14. I was convinced if I ate fat I would get fat. This is such a lie, every organ of our body needs healthy fats in order to function properly. By the way an interesting fact I learn from Fed Up was that when food companies take the fat out (think fat free cookies) they have to add loads of sugar to make it not taste like cardboard. Or even worse they add toxic sweetener like Splenda (an old favorite of mine unfortunately;(  For the first time in my life when I look at food I see nutrients not calories. I ask myself, is what I am about to consume building my body up or tearing it down?



So how do I feel after all these changes? Because My body is detoxing I have felt some negative effects that go along with that. I wish I could say that these changes result in instant health but honestly repairing the body is a long process. One amazing fact I learned is that the cells in our body regenerate every year, so that means in one year we can have vastly improved health. I did just recover from strep throat (that I had to take antibiotics for) which was pretty discouraging. However I am happy to report that I have been off all bladder medications for a couple of months and my bladder and kidneys feel completely healed....Something I never thought was possible!!! My whole digestive system works better than it ever has! Thank You Jesus!!!



My go to favorite new web sight is Dr AXE. Food IS Medicine he has so much good information! Whenever I have a question I type it into the search box and see what he has to say about it. He is a Christian which make his advice even better! Here are a few other wellness web sights I love right now.


Why should the average person care about all this? Because 1 in 2 men and 1 in 3 will get cancer in their life time. We are all on a path of acquiring disease or preventing it. There is indeed a spiritual side to physical sickness (think bitterness rots the bones) but that is another post.



Now I have to add my disclaimers...

First I do not stress or worry about this when I am out with friends or visiting someone. I know that God is in control and that relationships are so much more important than food! For everything created by God is good, and nothing is to be rejected if it is received with thanksgiving~1 Timothy 4:4 (For those that would want to use this scripture as an excuse to eat bad all the time I would like to point out that it say everything GOD CREATED, I would only ask... did God create High Fructose Corn Syrup?)


Second some Wellness web sights throw around the word healing in a way I do not really approve of. For example with statements like, "I healed my body of cancer with food." I believe healing comes from God, consider that the main ministry of Jesus was to heal physically and spiritually sick people. We can certainly repair our body with food and supplements but true healing comes from FAITH in Christ and will not be complete until we get to Heaven, then and only then will our bodies be whole and healed of all diseases and suffering.


He said to her, "Daughter, your faith has healed you. Go in peace and be freed from your suffering."
Mark 5:34


Heal me, O LORD, and I will be healed; save me and I will be saved, for you are the one I praise.
Jeremiah 17:14


It says, “The righteous man may suffer many afflictions, but the Lord delivers him from them all.”
Psalms 34:19

6 comments:

Leanne said...

Tesha, I'm SO PROUD of you!!!

I really love all of your suggestions, and I love the websites you linked to!!

But what I loved the most is your disclaimers at the end of your post. Those were awesome and right on.

I know we haven't emailed or talked in a while, but I read every one of your posts and love them!!

I even looked up Malibu weather this morning!! LOL!!

Keep up the great work and thanks for honoring the Lord in everything you do!

(((HUGS)))

Lisa said...

Wow Tesha - you are doing fantastic! You've learned and implemented so much so fast. I do oil pulling too and know what you mean about how hard it is to do it around kids. So I settled on swishing during my shower! Whatever works, right? How are the kids handling all the big food changes?

Anonymous said...

Great info. So happy for your wellness journey!- Corrita

Sara said...

Tesha,
I love hearing about your healthy healing journey! I used to do such a better job at this and then Samuel died... I finally feel like I have more energy to put into taking much better care of our family! I love all the tips you share and just you sharing everything you are learning... Keep it up! It is a blessing to me... Much love and many prayers for you and your crew!

Debby@Just Breathe said...

This is a great post. I am going to tag it to go back to. I know I have added fat into my diet too. It is amazing what we have been doing that was all wrong. Our ancestors had it right when they ate real food before our government took over! Wishing you all the best.

Green Tea Online India said...

Actually green tea is an wonderful remedy for making your health fit & perfect, if you have using ayurvedic its a added taste to drink so that green tea brand also increased in India, Thanks for this wonderful blog

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Follow this blog with bloglovin

Follow on Bloglovin