Thursday, March 5, 2015

Juice Fasting


I am coming to the end of a seven day organic juice fast. I have to say I feel amazing and do not want to stop, Saturday is Sahyla's Birthday and I want to participate in the festivities and food but I might just go right back to juicing on Sunday- I love it that much!


I have not missed whole food at all and actually love the ease of knowing what is on the menu. I am fasting for a few reason... I wanted one last good cleanse before my upcoming Cat Scan for my lung. I watched Dying To Have Known, The Gerson Miracle and Fat Sick and Nearly dead, all excellent documentaries! I have been trying different diets to see what effect I feel on my health, for example I did three weeks on a ketogenic diet and I have been really interested to see how I would feel on a juice cleanse!


What is the difference in smoothies and juicing? Juicing extracts the water and the nutrients from the fruit leaving behind the pulp, while making a smoothie with a blender grinds the whole fruit and leaves the fiber in. Both are good and have a place but during a juice fast your digestive system gets a break and your body can take advantage of the rich nutrients without having to work to digest the fibers. Without the fiber your body is able use 100% of nutrients from the food, they are actually absorbed directly into your blood stream. Also when doing a juice fast you are consuming an enormous amount of fruits and veggies way more than you would be able to eat, so your literally flooded with nutrition! With only healthy nutrients in your system your body releases toxins and repairs itself making the juice cleans a powerful detox.



I have been juicing a variety of fruits and veggies mostly leafy greens. On my menu... carrots, green apples, grapefruit, red and green chard, kale, collard greens, red cabbage, cucumbers, beets, romaine lettuce, mustard greens, collard greens, spinach, celery, broccoli. I add in lemon and ginger to off set a really green juice but I actually like all the flavors at this point!

I have noticed I have a lot of energy, my skin is glowing and my nails are growing like crazy. Someone actually told my I was glowing:)! My dark under eye circles have banished. I have not lost a lot of weight, maybe a few pounds but I am not trying to lose, just nourish my body with an overlord of vitamins, minerals and antioxidants! More importantly is what is happening where I can not see, I believe my cells are repairing themselves and my immune system is being built up! I have not felt hungry at all, one eight ounce glass of juice is very filling. 


I truly believe juicing is medicine and works miracles to repair the body. I think I will continue juicing until I reach 40 days with an occasional break for date night and social gatherings that I can not take juice to:) I encourage you to invest in a juicer, even if you can not do a juice cleanse I believe you will see amazing health benefits just by adding fresh juice to your routine. By the way my kids love carrot apple juice and Little Jimmy will drink even the most bitter green juice as long as there is no grapefruit in it;)


Here is a  great web sight for information on juice fasting Just on Juice


And God said, “Behold, I have given you every plant yielding seed that is on the face of all the earth, and every tree with seed in its fruit. You shall have them for food. 
Genesis 1:29

7 comments:

Christine said...

Tesha,

I love you dearly you know and when I read this about 40 days of juicing I feel concerned for you. I believe it would be detrimental to eat such an imbalanced diet for that long. Organic fruits and veggies are wonderful, but what about all the other nutrients we get from whole grains, protein, dairy? Are you eating any nuts or eggs or anything for protein, and what about the fiber you need? Yes, juice might be like medicine, but we can't consume only medicine for 40 days. Maybe I read this wrong and you are eating other things. I mean no disrespect--I just care for you and your family. Sometimes fear, like you had when you learned about your lung, can drive us to lose balance in our lives. I know a lot of that fear has subsided, but 40 days of juices only seems like something is out of balance. Again, forgive me if this seems offensive. I just care for you, dear sister in Christ.

Tesha Papik said...

Christine,
Thank you for your concern. I guess 40 days might sound extreme but honestly I feel so great after the 7 day fast! I agree that our long term diets need whole grains and protein which can be found in many nutritious sources however I am talking about a designated set aside time for fasting. 40 days of fasting is seen several times in the Bible. I do know a man that fasted all food and only drank water for forty days, so juicing which provides so many nutrients does not seem extreme to me. Also many people give up meat or participate in some time of fast for lent. I am consuming a wide variety of fruits and vegetables and believe that they have enough nutrients for a designated fast. I am not sure I will do forty days, I was very excited that I completed seven and like I already said feel awesome! I'm keenly aware how my body responds foods, I would stop any fast if I felt low energy or that it was hurting my health. I am not juicing for weight loss and feel that my nutrient and calorie intake is sufficient! I do think some of my lifestyle changes have been motivated by fear from my lung but I KNOW they have benefited myself and my family immensely as well as all the research that I have done:) Thank you again for your concern I have not yet prayed about doing 40 days...maybe I will juice but include whole food also, I'm not sure. Like I said I was excited, happy and feeling really good when I wrote this post!

http://www.donnapartow.com/fasting-for-40-days/

http://www.rebootwithjoe.com/reboot-your-health-in-40-days-40-nights/

Christine said...

Sounds like you know what you're doing, Tesha. Sorry to have intruded. Enjoy that birthday party and Happy Birthday Shayla!

Lisa said...

Wow - your juice fast sounds great! I think I may like to try it this spring. I know a couple that do it for a week a couple times a year and have wonderful results. I have another friend that does a raw milk fast for 2 weeks each year - she also highly recommends it. I am still praying for you - that your scan results will turn out great.

Debby@Just Breathe said...

That "Fat Sick and Nearly Dead" video really inspired me when I saw it. I want to juice but until I do I have been buying all Organic fruits and veggies at Sprouts each week. Also trying hard to buy only products with the NON GMO project verified symbol on them.

Allison said...

Have you heard about AdvoCare's excellent products?

larry orson said...

It’s nice to know about your juice fasting. It seems very healthy. I drink glassful of Green drink every morning and add different fruits to my drink to change its taste. I feel amazingly powerful and healthy since I started taking them.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Follow this blog with bloglovin

Follow on Bloglovin